Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Heart's Beat Away & 163/365

On Thursday as a requirement of my job I took a tour of a dialysis facility. This was quite an experience, my hands were still visibly shaking when I returned to the office. I remember thinking to myself Thank You God that I am healthy and please allow me to stay that way. But what if I wasn't, what if I had a chronic illness or a terminal illness, what would my prayers be? I know this is a heavy subject, however I read today about the incoming Governor of Vermont and how one of his platforms was getting Euthanasia (Assisted Suicide) legalized in Vermont. He plans to pursue this for 2011.

This to me is dark legislation. I know there is the on going debate about quality of life vs quantity of life. However, I do not believe God requires our help in deciding when to end a life. Legislating death is a slippery slope, history has proven this. People are people and abuse of any type of legislation happens and then the lines begin to get blurred.

Here is "Euthanasia Pros and Cons" as found on Euthanasia.com

Arguments For Euthanasia:

  • It provides a way to relieve extreme pain
  • It provides a way of relief when a person's quality of life is low
  • Frees up medical funds to help other people
  • It is another case of freedom of choice

Arguments Against Euthanasia:

  • Euthanasia devalues human life
  • Euthanasia can become a means of health care cost containment
  • Physicians and other medical care people should not be involved in directly causing death
  • There is a "slippery slope" effect that has occurred where euthanasia has been first been legalized for only
    the terminally ill and later laws are changed to allow it for other people or to be done non-voluntarily
I believe that Euthanasia is not a fly by night legislative issue and We the People need to decide where we will draw the line. Life is precious and each of us unique, God does not require our assistance in deciding when someone's time is up, even our own.

Montana, Oregon and Washington all have Physician Aid in Dying (PAD), in The Netherlands and Belgium Euthanasia is legal and in Albania and Luxembourg Assisted Suicide is legal.




164/365

Today I am thankful:

1. That I am healthy.

2. For my sweet furry four legged new friend Avalon, she is amazing here is her picture










3. For getting a great deal accomplished today both professionally and personally.

4. For dark hot chocolate with a splash of half and half.

5. For never forgetting this: "
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."~Psalm 139:14 NIV

No comments: